Click here to go to top
- January 27th is National Chocolate Cake Day
- The word ‘cake’ comes from Middle English kake, and is probably a borrowing from Old Norse
- The world’s largest wedding cake weighed 15,032 lb and was made by chefs at the Mohegan Sun Hotel and Casino, Uncasville, CT in February 2004.
- The world’s tallest cake stood 108 feet, 3 inches high Hakasima-Nilasari Culinary School in Jakarta, Indonesia
- The first reference to ‘birthday cake’ came in 1785.
- cakes were originally just sweetened bread
- the tradition of eating cake on someone's birthday originated from Greece where they would take cakes to Artemis' temple as an offering
- Wedding cakes originated from many different ancient cultures, however, the modern wedding cake
- According to an old English superstition, putting a fruit cake under your pillow would make you dream about the person you will marry.
- Queen Victoria was one of the first to have pure white icing on her wedding cake. That’s why it’s called “royal icing.”
- Earlier, people used to blow candles one at a time so that the smoke carries their prayers to heaven.
- the cake was offered to the Goddess of Moon and the candles were symbols of moon’s shining light