Go back to the first page
Ranks, belts, and promotion
Find out the history of Taekwondo
For more information about Taekwondo Poomsae. Click here
Poomase is a form made of combinations of kicks, punches, and blocks. It is suppose to help defend more than one person at a time with different styles. The poomase's get more complex as you go up in rank; you add more moves and more complex moves like jumps and two legs in one move. When you get to black belt you start to learn more difficult poomases and you get to make your own poomase called freestyle poomase. The types of poomase are:
- ll Jang
- Is the first poomsae that is taught as a white belt. The poomase means Heaven or Light.
- Ee jang
- Is the second poomsae that is taught as a yellow belt. The poomsae means Lake.
- Sam jang
- Is the third poomsae that is taught as a yellow advance belt The poomsae means Fire.
- Sah jang
- Is the fourth poomsae that is taught as a green belt. The poomsae means Thunder.
- Oh jang
- Is the fifth pommsae that is taught as a green advance belt. The poomsae means Wind.
- Yuk jang
- Is the sixth poomsae that is taught as a blue belt. The poomsae means Water.
- Chil jang
- Is the seventh poomsae that is taught as a blue advance belt.The poomsae means Mountain.
- Pal jang
- Is the eighth and the last color belt poomsae taught as a red belt. The poomsae means Earth.